Tuesday, February 17, 2009

White man's Guacamole

I grew up in Western New York. That makes me a Yankee. A very white Yankee, at that. The first time I ate enchiladas, it was prepared by my mother in law, before she was my mother in law, and I wasn't quite old enough to know what a Corona tasted like. The first time I ate at a real Mexican restaurant (and no, Taco Bell doesn't count) was after moving to Oregon. So there is a little irony in the fact that I'll post a Mexican recipe, and hence should require the additional title of "White-man's".

White Man's Guacamole

2 firm but ripe medium avocados, peeled and pitted. Save one pit.
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup Roses Sweetened Lime Juice
2 green onions chopped
1/4 c cilantro.
1/2 tsp Garlic Salt and Pepper blend (ingr - salt, powdered garlic, black pepper, sugar)

Blend with immersion blender. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving, keeping the pit in the airtight container to keep the guac from turning brown.

I attempted a similar recipe from Betty Crocker around Christmas time and spent the evening adding a little of this, a little of that, because it just wasn't right. Tonight's concoction was a complete experiment surprising both Shane and I. I don't want to forget how I made it next time I try, so really this post is completely self-serving, but maybe you'll enjoy it to.

2 comments:

  1. Well, the addition of mayonnaise sure makes this qualify as a "White Man's" anything in my book! I would never have thought to add mayo. Not sure if I'm brave enough to try that. I also have never thought to throw in sugar or 'sweetened' lime juice. I tend to make my stuff from scratch, so I squeeze limes. I can understand how a bit of sugar may bring out some flavor, but it's one of those things I'll only add if it's already in the seasoning blend.

    The best guac I remember having was at a neighbor's party in Fresno. One of the hosts caught me nearly hoarding the whole bowl. He shared with me his 'secret' recipe: Mash avocados, squeeze in lime juice, season with 'garlic pepper' (sounds like what you have.) When I moved, he bought me my own jar of garlic pepper.

    Personally, I think your addition of cilantro and green onions is wise and likely yummy. I often add cilantro, as I LOVE the combo of lime & cilantro.
    I have to be careful with guac. I like to make it with a dozen avocados at a time, and I'll still come close to eating the whole batch. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMmmmm...this sounds good! Although my husband who can NOT cook ANYTHING makes the best guac I have ever had. It has some strange ingredients but I have never met a person who didn't love it, even guac haters!!!

    ReplyDelete

tell me whatcha think!